Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in GOD's sight.

1 Peter 3:3-4

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Update

Amanda, Asher's mom wrote this on Facebook today:

I was so utterly exhausted by the time we got home last night, I didn't have the energy to go into details, but here's the story on how it went down. First things first, I will clarify that from the looks of it, this was a fever-induced seizure, which is very good news. They are very common in small children and in most cases, harmless. Asher was feeling a bit under the weather yesterday when he woke up from his nap, but not so bad that I decided to stay home from the concert. But he was definitely out of it, and wanted me to hold him the entire time. He seemed warm, but I couldn't get a good read on his body temp, and though I was concerned, I never realized his temp had gotten so high (the paramedics thought it was probably 104-105, because it was close to 103 AFTER cooling him down). Anyway, he fell asleep on my shoulder during the Go Fish set, and all of sudden woke up in a start. I thought the music scared him, but I quickly realized he was having a seizure. I was in the middle of a crowd (it was outdoors) with my girls, and I ran off screaming for help. Asher turned completely blue in my arms and by all accounts wasn't breathing and his eyes were completely vacant. A random woman ran out of the crowd, grabbed Asher and put him on the ground and started doing chest compressions on him. I was hysterical, not knowing if this was necessary, but there were several people holding me back telling me that she had to. Out of nowhere, a woman ran up (an angel from God, as far as I'm concerned), told me she was a nurse and that she had to take Asher immediately. I said ok, of course, not knowing if Asher was even alive at this point. She ran off with Asher for help (fortunately, at outdoor concerts, they always have paramedics standing by). Everyone was trying to get me me to go with her, but I had left my girls in the crowd watching the show and couldn't just leave them. I gathered my girls - God gave me peace at this point, so I could stay calm in front of them - told them Asher was sick and we had to go right away. A volunteer took us on golf cart to the ambulance where they were working on Asher. All while this was happening, Andy was still performing, but someone did inform him that one of his kids was receiving medical attention. It wasn't until he saw the chaos by the ambulance that he realized it was pretty serious. They ended their set one song early, so fortunately, this didn't totally disrupt their show. At this point, I had wonderful friends supporting me, and also the paramedics were assuring me that Asher likely had a fever-induced seizure and that he was going to be ok. He was still totally out of it, but at least I knew he was alive. They rushed us both to the hospital nearby for tests and observation, and fortunately everything came back normal. The only "weird" thing is that normally kids are visibly sick with either a virus or infection when something like this happens, and aside from seeming a bit under the weather that afternoon, Asher hadn't been sick at all. But there were no infections noted in his blood, and the doctor assumed that maybe he was just starting a virus. Asher is doing SO much better today, which we are VERY thankful for. Thank you so much for your prayers...It was a very scary hour for us, but are very thankful that it wasn't any worse than it was.

Wowzer!! Hats off to Amanda, staying calm when she didn't even know if her baby boy was dead or alive!

1 comment: